David Smith BSc. C.Eng. F.I.Struct.E. Eur.Ing.
Nottingham Office of SLS Design Consultants Limited
After over 30 years involvement in the construction industry, David, along with Tony Simpson and Stephen Lord representing John L Lord & Son Ltd, founded SLS Design Consultants in 2008. The firm has a simple aim; to utilise all the experience and expertise of the Directors to provide a top quality structural and civil engineering design consultancy tailored to the specific needs of clients.
David is an Approved Certifier of Design (Building Structures) in accordance with the requirements of the Building (Scotland) Act 2003 (SER registered). David is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the Institute of Structural Engineers and a registered European Engineer.
Career Highlights: David Smith
David joined Taylor Woodrow Construction Limited directly from school to work as a site-based civil engineering technician on the construction of two nuclear power stations, first at Hartlepool and then at Heysham in Lancashire. Academic success in his day-release studies encouraged him to embark upon a degree course in civil engineering at Sunderland Polytechnic, graduating in 1976.
Following completion of his degree course David joined E.G. Lediard & Son, initially site-based as part of the Resident Engineers team and then in the design office working on Public Health projects.
David re-located to Nottinghamshire to join Bunyan Meyer & Partners Limited (BMP) and spent the next 7 years gaining broad-based structural design experience and expertise. To expand his knowledge and experience of structural engineering and the construction industry David made career moves, spending time at both Allott & Lomax and Curtins Consulting Engineers.
David re-joined BMP in 1995, becoming a Director in their Nottingham office in 2000 and a Board member in 2004.
Major construction projects he was responsible for included;
- An £8 million call centre for Freemans.
- A £24 million distribution centre and offices for Sears Property Development Limited.
- A £2 million bakery.
- New laboratories and research facilities for the University of Nottingham.
- Multi-storey mixed use commercial, retail and residential developments for end-user clients
- A new magistrates' courthouse in Lincoln.
- The refurbishment of a five storey listed former nurses home to create luxury apartments.
- Two new day care hospital facilities at Hinckley and Melton Mowbray with a total value in excess of £11 million.
For advice from a top structural engineer call David Smith on 0115 943 5667 or email.
on 0115 943 5667 or email.
Wellington Cement Works